Musings

Random updates on my life, my thought processes, and.... well, musings.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Paranoia



I'm starting to figure out that at any time a strong issue is concerned around parenting, there will be at least two, very hotly debated, sides.

And if that issue has associated research that's even vaguely inconclusive, things get out of hand.

My interest of late is regarding SIDS.

It started with a creeping paranoia, just a back-of-the-mind niggle that it 'could' happen. As far as I knew I did things right - Zamara always sleeps on her back, isn't around any form of smoke, and is breastfed. After that, I figured there wasn't much else I could do as those were the only things "proven" to reduce incidents of SIDS.

But being the honor student I am, I started doing research anyway. That's where things get foggy.

SIDS has no known, proven, reliable, cause. That is, after all, the point. If a clear cause is found, it's not attributed to SIDS. Apparently what this also means is that everybody and their brother, whether medically qualified or not, has an opinion on what does cause SIDS. And those opinions are rampant with conspiracy theories.

I did find articles - mostly geared towards Joe Schmo the parent - stating exactly what I thought I knew. Put baby on her back and don't smoke.

But I also found articles saying everything else. There were those saying that breastfed babies do have a better chance, and those that say there's no evidence to suggest that. There's some thought that babies sleeping too deeply (and anything that would cause that) causes SIDS. There's others that reckon it's toxic gases being admitted from "nasty chemicals" in anything remotely around the crib - baby's clothes, bedclothes, mattresses, bumpers, toys, even the surface of couches. There's a whole other group of people who swear SIDS is directly related to vaccinations and keeping babe un-immunized is a guaranteed way to prevent SIDS. (Sure, babes will just die of meningicocal disease instead... ) There's evidence suggesting that sucking during sleep (on a breast, a pacifier, or a hand/finger) prevents SIDS and still more evidence saying it's 'inconclusive'. There are those that suggest sleeping baby in a hammock (in supine position) is safe, and of course the standard 'inconclusive' research. Similarly, "they" can't even agree on whether breastfeeding reduces the risk or not. I've read evidence that says that co-sleeping provides the lowest incidence of SIDS and still more that says to never, ever, co-sleep because it's so "dangerous". I've even talked to parents (on bulletin boards) who suggest that back sleeping isn't the safest because then baby will just choke on his/her spit-up. (Which research does agree is wrong, but there's no arguing with some people...)

And you would not believe the amount of products for sale each claiming they prevent SIDS. These run the gamut from the "Safe-T-Sleep" wraps to organic bedding to chiropractic care to plastic mattress wrapping to baby hammocks to baby monitors.

I began my informal investigation hoping to find answers to allay my mounting paranoia about SIDS. The more I find the more I realise that for the moment, there really aren't any answers that can 100% guarantee a safe baby. However, applying a healthy dose of common sense seems to do the trick for most people.

And strangely enough, in the end I'm comforted by sheer numbers. SIDS is still the leading cause of death in the developed world of infants aged 1 - 12 months. However, incidence of SIDS is in reality incredibly low. Even in NZ, which has an overall high rate of SIDS, the official rate is around 0.8 for every 1000 live births. Similarly, she doesn't have any unpreventable risk factors - she's not low birthweight, wasn't premature, is of the right ethnicity (though whether that truly has to do with ethnicity rather than socio-economic status is undetermined) and even the right gender, as SIDS happens less often in girls.

The bottom line, really, is this. I didn't find out what causes SIDS because the jury is still out on that. But I did find out that I'm doing everything I can do to prevent it, and I have both luck and sheer numbers on my side. And if I now have a very expensive, movement-detecting, baby monitor as well.... we can chalk that up to peace of mind. And perhaps very clever marketing.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home